Wednesday, March 21, 2007

An Englishman in New York

An amusing article from Vanity Fair about the exaggerated Britishness of English ex-pats in New York.

I sympathize with them. The longer I've lived away from home the more of an Ohioan I've become. No, seriously. The only thing I can't abide is the increased redneckification of Buckeye country in the decade and a half since I left. Those people can bite me. The one's I miss are the people who get and can trade in sarcasm the way the Brits can do irony.

Folks in the Western states can't do it either. And it doesn't help that I live in one of the reddest counties in the country. When they're not being evil, they are simple, straightforward people. Plain, really. No sense of humor. If you say, "hey dude, I like those shoes you're wearing!" they believe you. Whereas, any sensible person would be offended at the insult or at least would be suspicious as to what you were implying.

A Coloradoan says, "Thank you." An old-school Ohioan says, "What's wrong with them?" See what I mean?