Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bjork - The Earth Intruders

After seeing her on Saturday Night Live, I am suddenly fascinated with Bjork and her new single "The Earth Intruders." It's got driving percussion, otherworldly vocal, and an off-the-wall Of Montreal lyric. None of it should work, but Bjork is so far beyond the rest of us, she can easily convince us that she knows the answers to questions we cannot yet formulate.

I've read that there are all sorts of important things we should know about Bjork's collaborations this time with Timbaland and Antony (of Antony and the Johnsons) and others, but Bjork is ultimately Bjork. She's more likely to influence their future work than vice versa.

In that vein, I am so far behind on her music, I haven't bought any of her records since 1995's Post and I got that years after it originally came out. So I've decided to get Homogenic to see if the world has caught up to where Bjork was a decade ago. I'm certain it's not ready for her latest message from the future. See you in 2017 Volta!