Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The First Galactus Story

Nerds are so dumb.

First they thought Grindhouse would be a big hit, and now they are upset that Galactus will be portrayed as a storm cloud in the next Fantastic Four movie.

I didn't see the first movie, and have only seen the first preview for this one, but I do know a lot about the FF. And if I were writing these movies I would definitely focus on the Silver Surfer in this one and hold back Galactus as the big bad for the third one.

The Silver Surfer is the Herald of Galactus. His whole purpose is to foreshadow worse things to come. Moreover, he's supposed to be pretty tough in his own right. So you're thinking, if the FF can't even deal with this guy, what's going to happen when his boss arrives?

And have you ever heard of a more literal foreshadowing device, than a storm cloud? Maybe if a giant shadow fell over the earth.

Galactus is the most powerful being in the universe. You can't just introduce him out of nowhere. You have to make sure that the audience understands that he can never be defeated, only deferred.

Like I said, I don't know anything about these movies. Maybe the filmmakers are a bunch of idiots and this is as far as the Galactus storyline is meant to go. But if they want my suggestions I'd say bring back Dr. Doom in FF 3 and set it up so that he and the FF have to work together to save the world. Go read the Galactus stories that John Byrne did in the 80s. Maybe even include a Spider-man cross-over. Now that would be cool.

That's my take, and far be it from me to explain story development to the morons at Ain't It Cool. Those guys always go for a cool special effect or a bloodier dismemberment over a well written story. These are the people for whom torture movies are made after all.

In the meantime, I'll go back and read my old comics.