- From the beginning, the problem has been the separateness and fragmentation of the colonies. 12 colonies. 12 different representations in the constellations.
- This problem is echoed in the 12 Cylon models, divided and yet endlessly replicated.
- Identity becomes alienated from its own nature when no one knows who is human and who might be a Cylon.
- The Cylon known as 6 represents the Apollonian mode of art. She is plastic. She is an image. She exists in dream -- a dream that the dreamer may not want to awake from.
- Unlike the other Cylons, the final 5 are individuals. They are not replicated and therefore our knowledge of them is not tied to their image but to the tragedies and sufferings of the distant past.
- The final 5 are awakened by music, by the tragic spirit of Dionysos.
- Dionysos is the daemon that unites us with nature. Dionysos is mania and madness and frenzy and intoxication. Ellen and Tigh.
- Hera duplicated the music of the final 5. Starbuck's father played for her the music of the final 5.
- The Black Hole symbolizes violent primordial nature and the singularity. Unity through chaos.
- Battlestar Galactica will end ambiguously and ambivalently because that is the nature of tragedy.
- The death of the Battlestar itself is a way of letting go of the pain of the past and all that was lost on Caprica.
- This must certainly end in the Opera House. Will Hera bring about a new dawn? Will she through song heal all that divides human and cylon at last? Will it be left to Starbuck? Will her death and resurrection end in apotheosis?
- Will BSG provide Metaphysical Solace?
Monday, March 16, 2009
Apollo and Dionysos in BSG
Random thoughts on what the end of BSG might mean.