Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My Team

I'm a graduate of the Ohio State University and a big Buckeye fan. We'll skip over the football team for now, and focus on something more fun: hoops!

The Buckeyes are the #1 team in the country right now which is great. And the game against Wisconsin was huge. But that doesn't make me feel any better.

From what I can tell, the team lacks the ability to close out games and put teams away. Worse yet, they have yet to master the inside outside game that having a big man gives you. They've also benefited from their opponents over estimating and over adjusting to contain Oden which has allowed them to build up big leads in first halves which then evaporate once the opposing coach figures out that he can use his standard offense.

Don't get me wrong, Oden himself is a talented guy and we'll probably miss him when he jumps to the NBA, but he's not Shaq, or Kareem, or even Bill Walton. He seems slow to me, and always looks tired in the second half. That's going to catch up to the Bucks come tournament time.

And, if I'm OSU I don't want to see anyone from the ACC or the SEC in the early rounds of the NCAAs. I don't care how many games Florida or North Carolina lose in-conference, they still have the potential to run all over the lumbering Big Ten.